Monday, January 9, 2012

Who Am I Really Relying On?

...The focus must be on the Bible and the power of the Holy Spirit rather than on self-effort in order for lasting change to take place.
 This quote was from today's Thin Within workbook.  p.A-6.  And how very true it is.  How often do I try to think of what *I* can change.  What *I* will do.  What effort *I* put in will make.  Of course, we DO need to work and put in that effort, but the results of that effort are not up for ME to decide.  I need to remember WHERE, and from WHOM my strength comes from.  I am nothing.  I can do NOTHING on my own.  And any self-effort I put into this journey, is wasted.  If the effort is from ME, then *I* get the glory.  But it isn't that way... my body is His temple.  I must allow Him to do His work, and rely on His strength to fix what is broken.  He isn't the one who broke it.  I was.  But alone, I cannot fix it.  I have to step back and hear from Him what His directions are.  And work in accordance with what HE has for me to do.  He will get the glory.  Not I. 

Today, I read through the introduction of the book, and will also be reading the appendix portion of "Stop, Look, Listen, Obey: Temptation Buster".  Tomorrow, I will begin with the actual Day 1 of the workbook.  At first, I thought, I should begin on Day 1 today, on Monday.  But then realized, that if I ever fell behind, I'd be tempted to give up- since my "days" would be off.  It doesn't matter really what day I begin the week with.  The idea of the study is not to match up days or dates, but to get through the course and draw nearer to the Lord while learning to rely on Him for strength and wisdom. 

So, that is how I am approaching this.  I will be striving to work through one "daily exercise" each day Monday through Saturday.  I will be taking Sunday's "off".  IF you include the review- that is 8 exercises per "week".  Therefore, I will be taking 9 days to finish 8 exercises.  (See why I didn't worry about "starting" Day 1 on Monday?  :) )  This will take longer than the "normal" 12 weeks to finish, but I am okay with that.  For me, this isn't a "race".  It is a Journey.  (Another thing I like about the Thin Within Program... I'm all about journeys, as if you couldn't tell! LOL!)  This also will give me an "extra" day if I miss one to "catch up" without feeling panicked or discouraged.

If anyone else would like to do the program with me, I would welcome you to join along.  I will be mentioning things I learn along the way on my blog, but if anyone would like more in-depth discussions, we can always email, so as not to clog up the blog.  :) 

6 comments:

Angie said...

I don't have the book but it is so funny that you posted this today.I was going to post(well,I am still going to post)about the same topic.

I very much agree with what you wrote here and I look forward to hearing more about what you learn out of the book.

Also,good job at starting now instead of waiting for a certain day.I am bad at that.When I mess up,I always want to wait until a Monday to start again! lol

Grace said...

This is so encouraging!!! This is exactly where I want my focus to stay along my entire journey.

YOU are so encouraging!!! Reading through your blog INSPIRES me!!!

Nataly said...

I am just amazed at how the Lord has brought so many of us to this same point at the same time of realizing that healthy living needs to be approached as a spiritual thing. Amazing! I am just in awe of Him reading my thoughts on several blogs this evening. :)

Anonymous said...

I have been having the same thoughts. Thank you for sharing and reinforcing what I have been feeling. -Dee

Tracy said...

Great to hear your thoughts on that book. Many I know have gleaned great insight and results by using it as a tool. I was considering getting it once I start working to lose again, since I do enjoy reading to encourage me to press on. I look forward to you sharing more of your thoughts. :)

May the Lord be glorified as you continue to keep your focus on His purposes for you in this journey. I have learned that the battle goes far beyond the numbers on the scale or tape measure. ;)

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

So many of us posted along the same lines yesterday. :) Yes, it is not us, but HIM.

I look forward to reading your thoughts as you walk this journey. Our God is faithful!