Friday, January 20, 2012

The Greatest Focus

First of all... are you lurking?   If you are, I'd encourage you to comment.  I love to hear from you each! :)  *wink*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Romans 5:3-8
"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;  And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.  For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.  But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

I've often heard and thought upon Romans 5:8.  The Greatest Focus of my Life is the blessed promise I have.  Merriam-Webster 1828 defines "commend" as: "1. To represent as worthy of notice, regard, or kindness; to speak in favor of; to recommend." (excerpt)   So to phrase Romans 5:8 in another way, I could say:

"But God kindly gave His love toward ME, in that, while I was yet a sinner, Christ died for Me."  (paraphrase)

Talk about a great promise.  One that He fulfilled.  I can have assurance of His love for me, a sinner, because of Christ's final redeeming work on the cross.  For me, He died.  But for me, He lives.  That is the greatest focus.  
However, there is more to it than that.  Romans 5:3-6 speaks about the hope we have because of tribulations.  They bring about patience, experience and finally- hope.  Of course, Paul here is speaking about the hope we have in Christ because of His Redemption-Gift.  But, why cannot those verses apply to ALL of life?  May I even cautiously suggest that I can take that principle and apply it to my journey to health?  

Working on my health is hard.  It's easy to just eat what I want, do what I want, and not worry about the rest.  But that is not HARD.  What is hard is to deny my flesh, to persevere in what I do not will to do.  To have  self-control.  However... if I *do* succeed with doing just that, I build up patience.  Through my experience, I see progress and I have hope.  Because I know that doing those things is GOOD for my body, and I have experience the benefits of such in the past, from right actions and choices... I can have HOPE that once again, by overcoming the tribulation and staying faithful... I can become healthy again.  I don't need to give up when I fail.  The Lord is my Strength... My help in Trouble.  (Psalm 46).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Travel Log for January 19th

Breakfast: Two slices WW homemade toast with butter
Lunch: One WW roll with cheese, italian sauce, 8oz. milk
Snack: Mandarin orange with 1oz. Co-Jack Cheese
(Un-planned) Treat: 5 Kraft carmels
Dinner: 2 large slices of pizza (very thin crust)  8 oz. soda
Dessert: 4 Keebler Grasshopper Cookies

64 ounces of water
2 miles walked

Evaluation: 

Yesterday was a discouraging day.  I fought ALL DAY long with depression, and in turn... my food choices.  (I realized that while I don't RUN to the ice cream bucket for comfort... I do tend to make unhealthier food choices when I am feeling down.)  And it seemed like each time, I gave in to the unhealthy.  Sure the bread was all whole wheat... but I chose not to eat produce.  I could have chosen something healthier for dinner than pizza (it was Casey's take-out... if it were homemade, I would consider it healthy... because I'd use healthier ingredients, but as it was...).  It was late, I had been busy all day and just didn't feel like making anything.  *blush*  Then at dessert- I didn't really want the cookies, but I felt so defeated, I thought to myself... I already threw the day away... might as well...  I HATE that attitude.  And, I am kicking myself today for it.  BUT... I am not giving up.  Time to get back on the path, look to the Lord for my strength and my satisfaction.  His mercies are new every morning... and that includes this morning.  I'm taking His hand and I'm keeping my eyes forward.
Travel Plan:

I definitely need to get more produce in today.  It's going to be harder tonight as we are going to a Legacy 5 concert with the entire family... and we will have to leave our house before 5.  We won't be back until 10 or later... so that means dinner out.  I am going to try to choose something healthier.  Perhaps a grilled chicken sandwich with a baked potato, side salad and water from Wendy's or something.  Not perfect of course, but better than burger, fries and a soda.   I already skipped breakfast (*sad face*)... but I am going to eat a healthy lunch, then a healthy snack later and finish strong tonight.  No use being discouraged over yesterday and staying there.   

4 comments:

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

Just remind yourself that today is a new day and don't fret about yesterday's choices. Learn from them, but don't allow that to steal today's joy.

Keep up the good work!!

I enjoy reading your thoughts and don't give up, the Lord is your strength.

I've had a busy week this week adjusting to my new normal. I ahve a cow to milk every evening and it does take a chunck out of my day. I was wondering why this week I had hardly any computer time, then I remembered the cow. So I hope next week will be better. :)

Nataly said...

I have noticed the same thing. I always thought I did so well with stress but I have definitely noticed that I don't eat as healthy when I'm not doing well emotionally. (((HUGS)))

I just wanted to comment because I'm a lurker. LOL! I come and read but usually don't have the time to comment! I LOVE reading your posts though!

Lilyofthevalley - Tanya said...

LOL it does sound like I forgot the cow, but what I meant to say was I forgot the cow was taking up my what use to be "spare moments"!

Angie said...

I am definitely not a lurker!! :):)

I know what you mean about being self controlled.That is my BIGGEST motivator.I want to control myself.Food should NOT have that much control over me!!!!

How did you do when you went out to eat after the concert?

Like you always tell us......Don't fret about yesterday but I SURE know how that feels don't worry!

Come on........Keep motivated!! You have to keep ME motivated!!

Love ya!