Exodus 34:14For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God...
Definition of "Jealous" according to Merriam-Webster 1828 Dictionary:
2. Suspicious that we do not enjoy the affection or respect of others, or that another is more loved and respected than ourselves. (excerpt)
But... He Will Satisfy My Every Need
Psalm 145:14-16The LORD upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou givest them their meat in due season.Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing.
The Lord wants my heart, and my will. He is a jealous God. He does not tolerate a divided loyalty. Nor should He. My God is not a cruel God, but loves what He has created, and desires a relationship with His Creation. And as difficult as that is to believe at times, He even wants the heart and affections of this sinner, so prone to wander. My satisfaction is not to be in my husband, my children, my friends, activities, exercise, or even food. (While all of these are good gifts, they are not meant to satisfy me.) My whole satisfaction is given to me and offered to me by the Lord. *MY* Lord. He opens His hand ready to satisfy the desires of my heart. Those desires which align with His will for me.
It is good for me to be healthy. It is good for me to put my trust in the Lord. It is good to realize that He is on my side. He wants me to succeed. And it is good for me to realize that He is a jealous God. When I turn to food during emotional times (which I don't often do) or when I am bored (which I often do), I am placing my affections on someone else rather than the Lord. My new goal is to go to the Lord when I am feeling emotional or bored, and to invite Him to satisfy my heart.
2 comments:
This is exactly what I needed today! I am going to print it so that I can remember your words today as I go about my tasks. He needs to be where I turn in times of stress (see today's post on my blog, lol). Thank you -Dee
That is such a good encouragement. I really need that mindset! Thanks for always speaking truth so boldly and graciously!
Post a Comment