Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Well, Sure...

LOL!  I asked for suggestions and every suggestion I received said add more protein.  According to the Blood Type diet... I should AVOID protein because my body "type" supposedly doesn't handle proteins well. I should be eating whole grains and vegetables.   LOL!

(Just thought I'd throw that one out there.)

I don't usually eat much protein in the mornings because it makes me sick.  However, my lunches and dinners have more protein in them. Today I had 2 eggs at breakfast and a 3oz. slice of ham.  After eating that, I felt bloated and nauseous.  For a snack before lunch, I ate 1 medium whole wheat-spelt banana muffin made with honey (no sugar) and a medium apple.  For lunch, I just finished a large spinach-romaine salad with raspberry vinaigrette and a slice of whole wheat toast.  I felt better after eating my CARB snack.  LOL! 

I think I'm going to have to just do some more research and get a plan!  :)  I appreciate ALL of your input and your advice.  It showed me that I have a lot to figure out.  And... fwiw... Heather- I saw what you ate every day and I am AMAZED!  (Not in a bad way... just amazed!)  When I figure out something, I'll be back and share what that plan is *for me*.  .  .

ETA:
Oh... and fwiw... when I report "breakfast"... it's usually what I eat at 10 or 11- after my body has already had a drop in glucose.   I'm not diabetic,. but I am glucose-sensitive though, and I get hypoglycemia easily.  I usually eat a carb at 10 or 11 (after not really eating breakfast) to raise my glucose levels, and then eat my protein an hour later.  So when you think of my meals... Breakfast is at 10 or 11 (because I am REALLY bad about not eating when I wake up).  Then Lunch is an hour later.  Followed by a snack around 3 and dinner around 7pm. 

I think one thing to start out with is to actually EAT breakfast WHEN I WAKE UP... that may be step 1!

9 comments:

Cheymelah said...

Eating breakfast when you get up is a great start Brandy! I had to laugh at your comment about how much I eat. I guess it might seem like alot but you also have to realize that its not all in large amounts. Sometimes I think there is just too much information out there and it confuses people so they end up doing more then one "diet" at a time which isn't going to work. You are the only one that knows your body and what it takes to feel good. I have a SIL that lost 100 pounds in a year by focusing on fiber. So obviously she ate alot of carbs. I cant loose that way I have tried.

Nataly said...

UGH! Wow. I hope you find what works for you! Definitely, eating when you get up is a good start. Being hypoglycemic myself, I know I do way worse when I go too long without food.

You can throw this out if you like...just thought I'd give this to you in case it helps. When I married Joe we moved in with his dad who is ultra-health-conscious. I had no sugar, no snack foods, no processed foods and I totally fell apart. That was when we found out that I was hypoglycemic. My junky diet just hid it for most of my life. During that time I got sick at the smell of meat. I would vomit if I tried to eat protein. I had a perpetual migraine for a few months. I shook from head to toe constantly. What I did to reverse it was to force myself to eat protein first thing every morning. Some mornings it didn't stay down but if nothing else I would eat cheese. It took a while but I eventually got to where I'd rather have protein than anything most of the time.

That may not work for you. I need to look at the blood-type diet just for the fun of it if nothing else! I never heard of it before.

Another interesting thing for you...my dad who is also hypoglycemic CRAVES MILK! I think it's how fast milk converts to sugar or something.

BrandyLynn said...

Thank you Heather and Nataly. I think you are right Heather. There is so much "out there" that it's hard to decipher it all. Honestly, the time I lost the most weight was when I was eating VERY LITTLE protein. I would eat whole grains and vegetables and never even HEARD of the Blood Type "diet". (Which isn't a "lose-weight" type of diet.") Then, a few months ago, I learned about that "diet"- and it kind of explained why I may have "lost weight" without "trying". LOL! Yet, everyone tells me to eat more protein. *sigh* So....

Nataly, what you wrote about the milk is VERY interesting to me. When I was 7 I was hospitalized for a few days with tests because I kept passing out. They determined that I had problems with hypoglycemia. My liver compensates by spilling glucose into my system. Which is why I feel "fine" until around 10 or 11 and then eat a carb because I'm crashing.

I have been researching for a good portion of the day and I *believe* I may be formulating a plan that might "suit me". I'll post more tomorrow. (Both of your comments "helped me"... by the way! :)

Anonymous said...

I think it is so interesting how different our bodies can be from one another! I feel YUCK too, if I eat eggs, toast etc. for breakfast. The only thing I have found to work for me at breakfast (in regards to how I feel AND adding to a successful weight loss) is a smoothie for "breakfast" (which happens around 10am for me too, nothing before that but tea...just cannot eat sooner than that!). I tried to break away from the smoothie this morning and had a homemade whole grain cinnamon roll and it truly messed up my whole day with how I felt and ate after that!!

Anonymous said...

oh...what IS your blood type? You have me so curious now.

BrandyLynn said...

Tina, I am Type A. :)

Nataly said...

Interesting. I am also a type A. BUT I could never go on a vegetarian diet or even a limited protein diet as suggested on the site. I'm assuming this is what you meant about the blood type diet? http://dadamo.com/

I did find it VERY VERY VERY interesting about the cortisol levels being higher in A types. The reaction to stress described on that site is right on target for me.

BrandyLynn said...

Nataly, that is the same with me. Exactly. I *do* believe that protein is important. I think for the most part, they may have been speaking of animal proteins. I know that some animal proteins are harder to digest. I don't know. I just know that when I lost a lot of weight before without trying, I was on a low protein/high carb. diet. Like I said, it could have been a fluke. LOL! BUT I am NOT cutting out all proteins. The Lord told us to eat meat after the Flood for a reason! LOL! (He didn't tell everyone to eat according to their "blood type".)

The reactions to stress were me to a "T" as well. I fit all but ONE of those examples! If nothing else... and interesting read! :)

Nataly said...

Yeah, I agree about the animal proteins being harder to digest. I really think you're on the right track with your new plan!