Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Oh Pain and Misery....

I'm out for the week gals.  I found out the very painful way that I have the same birth "defect" as my father... which means it's genetic... which also means, at least some of my children likely have it...  This has happened 5 times before, but I've never done anything about it.  This time, I went in.

I did my Total Gym workout on Saturday, as I had been doing.  It went fine.  I pushed myself harder on the core extensions- it was one of the last workouts, and it hurt... but I decided I wasn't going to be a wimp.  I felt fine all day Saturday, woke up on Sunday and was fine as well. Watered my garden. Made breakfast.  Began getting the children ready for church... then I sat down to dig through the laundry basket for socks.  When I got up, I buckled under the pain.  My coccyx was in terrible pain.  I couldn't stand and I couldn't crawl.  I couldn't MOVE!  I found out that my lowest two vertebrae are fused together- and also to my tailbone.  (Why I felt the pain in the tailbone.)  When I overwork my muscles there, because they too are not aligned right due to the bony deformity... they spasm across my coccyx and pull dreadfully on my lower back.   The extra weight I have doesn't help as it further pulls.

So... what does this mean?  Well, it means that since Sunday afternoon, I've been unable to walk.  Yesterday I could stand straight for  few minutes until the pain became unbearable again.  Today, I can move a bit more.  I'm also very dizzy because I'm on Vicodin for the pain.  My children are having to make their own meals, pick up the baby for me, and basically do EVERYTHING.  :(  

It also means that I cannot do anymore of the back work on the Total Gym (or other).  Once I am feeling better, I can continue with the legs and arms, and I was told to be careful with abdominal exercises to make sure I'm not straining my back.  But, at the very minimum- I'm out for this week.  No cardio either.  (Obviously, I can barely move!) 

The most frustrating part... the very thing I was trying to work on (the weight issue) is what sent me INTO this mess.  It is discouraging.  It is frustrating.  But it is also MOTIVATING!  I was determined to lose weight, gain muscle, and get into shape.  I am STILL that way... but even more so.  I *DO NOT* want to suffer like this when I am older... (because I was told it will only get worse as I age).  I WILL NOT allow that!  Once I get back on my feet again... I'm going to be very careful with my back, but I am NOT going to quit.  I am going to BEAT THIS!  My father is overweight and struggles with this very deformity almost monthly... (he *is* losing weight though... too- which I am so proud of him)... but I WILL NOT SUCCUMB to that! 

:)  So a smiley face for my encouragement...

:(  And a sad face because I am in such pain (the vicodin only lessens the pain, it's still very acutely there)... and I hate feeling like I'm missing out while you gals continue on...   The doctor said if I'm able to bend over and touch my toes without a painful stretch I can begin SLOWLY again (without any back exercises until I lower my weight)... and hopefully that can start next week. 

Thought I would update and let you know I won't be doing the exercise this week... but I'll still be eating my 5-6 meals a day and making healthy choices.  :)

3 comments:

Nataly said...

Oh no!! I am so sorry, Brandy! Praying that the pain will leave you quickly. :(

Angie said...

Well that REALLY stinks!!!!!!!!!

You are doing great in letting the motivate you rather than discourage you!!! You can still do everything else this week afa eating/drinking etc.

(((((((((HUGS))))))))) I really hope it gets better soon!!!

Tracy said...

Brandy Lynn, I am so sorry you are in that amount of pain. My back went out last summer and I could barely handle the pain. It was awful. Maybe knowing the cause of it will be helpful because at least you know how to work around it so it isn't always getting in the way of your efforts.

I would feel extra motivated, too. I hope you can find the right exercises for you that will strengthen your body instead of cause harm. You're not really "out", you know. Just facing a new hurdle on the climb.

virtual hugs because I know real ones would hurt way too much. :)